Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wrist Warmers



OMG! These tiny knitty things were a GIANT pain in the butt!
My friend Martha & I were in the local knitty shop picking out buttons for her mom's sweater, when she spied a set of these all knit up on display and pranced around the store with them on. She then bought me the yarn, which included the free pattern, to knit these for her. I thought they looked pretty simple. HA! Turns out I had to make peace with the dreaded DPNs (double-pointed needles) in order to even get the project off the ground. After getting used to using them (I hold my yarn weirdly when I knit, so DPNs are real trouble for me with the way I knit), I started the project. Three times to be exact, because every time I started, I realized that the pattern was totally unforgiving in terms of missing a stitch. And since they were on 4 DPNS, there is no logistic way to unravel back down to where you missed stitches! Argh! After the fourth attempt, I knit one up. Then I knit up the second one, and discovered that because I made the first one just a couple rows longer than the pattern called for, I didn't have ENOUGH YARN to do the second one!!!!! Back to the knitting store...Anyway, lots of lessons learned on this one. These are kinda cute, so now that I have mastered the pattern, maybe I can lighten up and knit my daughter a pair. The yarn is Tahki Savoy, which is a silk/wool blend. It's in a yummy shade of purple, and the yarn has the most wonderful sheen to it thanks to being 50% silk. Hmmm, what else could I knit in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment